Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Flora, Fauna and Weather of The Gambia


A cashew tree


The cashew fruit and if you look very carefully you can see the cashew nut hanging below the fruit.


Muso - The Kitten Alex inherited off another volunteer. Taking in stray animals a very popular past time of volunteers. Then passing them along to the unsuspecting new comers. I am trying to stay as far away from this as possible as I have neve been violent and dont ever want to be but I think if I saw someone chuck a stone, hit with a stick or show any other act of violence towards a pet of mine that would be the trigger. And unfortunately that situation is a sure thing here.


A bush fire- I know it is a terrible picture but thought I would put it anyway. It was a massive ball of red on the horizon from our house. The bush fires are purposefully set. There is so much talk and it is part of the school curriculum talking about all the negatives of bush fires but as you travel around you seem then all the time and the scorched ground that is left.



The rains have come. I have a few videos of the rains and the thunderstorms obviously neither of which show their true force on my camera but will give you some idea. Unfortunately cannot put them on here as it is too much internet juice. I might try linking to them maybe.


My road after the rains. This would be more effective if I had a picture before the rains but too late now. I live in the compound you can see on the right and the Jawnehs live in the compound on the right.



As well as dodging the puddle I am dodging this little fella and the rest of his family who are normally found lounging in it. Its not only the pigs that enjoy the rains. The rains also bring out all the bugs unfortunately pictures are eluding me as: I dont have a suitable camera; Im not going to encourage bugs to come (well not intentionally); I normally run or kill rather than take a picture but I will try my best in the future.


No comments:

Post a Comment